You are here
Getting Started With Homeopathy
It’s easy to get started with homeopathy. You don’t need to be an expert in anatomy, physiology, or pharmacology.
You only need to be able to observe you and your family’s symptoms and any changes you might see in those symptoms. By using the information on this site you can quickly learn enough about homeopathy to use it at home to care for yourself and your family to address minor illnesses and injuries that don’t necessarily need a doctor’s care.
However, it takes more knowledge to appropriately treat chronic issues. Please consult a professional trained in homeopathy to address chronic issues. Use our online Professional and Organizational Directory to find a homeopath near you.
How to Use Homeopathy
Follow the steps below to begin treating minor illnesses or first aid issues with homeopathy (or check out our simple flow chart that breaks down the steps for you):
- First observe the symptoms. Pay special attention to any that are unusual or exceptionally strong. Notice whether there has been a change in mood and what behaviors or environmental factors seem to make symptoms better or worse. You may want to write your observations down.
- Next, take your list of symptoms and compare it to the descriptions of the remedies for that illness. Choose the remedy that most closely fits the symptoms (keeping in mind that not every symptom has to match.)
- Homeopathic remedies come in various strengths (also known as potencies): the 6c, 12c, and 30c strengths are gentle and perfect for home use. For most acute conditions treated at home, a 30c potency is ideal. Check out our simple flow chart on choosing the right potency (strength).
- Once you have selected the remedy, give one dose (3-5 pellets) under the tongue and then WAIT and OBSERVE. If there is no improvement at all within a few hours, give another dose.
- If after 3 doses there is no change then it is likely time to try a different remedy or contact a healthcare professional.
- Don’t give up if your symptoms don’t improve with the first remedy. It sometimes takes a couple of tries to find the “best match” remedy for your symptoms – especially if you’re new to homeopathy. If you continue to have difficulty finding the right remedy for your symptoms, make sure to consult a homeopathic professional.
- Still feeling confused?
Use our Find a Remedy tool to help you find remedies for common illnesses and injuries.
How Often to Take a Remedy
Conventional medicines are usually taken on a regular basis – every 4 hours or every 6 hours for example. Homeopathy is very different. In homeopathy, a remedy is only taken as needed – and no longer taken once you start to improve. How often a remedy is taken can vary depending on whether the illness is acute or chronic:
- An acute condition is one that lasts for a short time but can begin quickly and have intense symptoms.
- A chronic disease is persistent. It lasts for a long period of time and might recur.
As mentioned above, most acute conditions treated at home, a 30c potency is ideal. In some cases, such as severe muscle pain from overuse or sports injury, a dose of Arnica 200c, for example, may be appropriate. However, most conditions will resolve quite well using 30c potencies.
Once you have selected the remedy, give one dose ( 3-5 pellets) under the tongue and then WAIT and OBSERVE. If there is no improvement at all within a few hours give another dose. If after 3 doses there is no change then it is likely time to try a different remedy or contact a healthcare professional.
A chronic condition is best treated by a professional practitioner and in these cases the remedy is most often given only once at the outset of treatment. This is followed by a period of observation to allow the patient and homeopath to observe changes that may occur as a result of the remedy.
When to Consult a Professional
Remember – not all illnesses should be treated at home. If you are having difficulties finding the right remedy for an illness at home, it’s a good idea to consult with a professional homeopath to help identify the right remedy. Also, chronic illnesses or ailments should always be treated by a trained professional. Use our Practitioner Directory to find a homeopath near you: